Sunday, January 20, 2013

I'm cheap and I know it...and 80's style

I hate spending money unnecessarily.  I really do.  It eats at me.  I've been called cheap many times, and I am. 
Wednesday when we got back from Jackson I realized it was chilly in our house.  Not too bad, but colder than normal.  On Thursday it was still chilly.  I tried to adjust the thermostat so that the heat would kick on, but it never did.  I called my good buddy, Larry, to come and look at it.  He played with it a while and finally it worked.  He left.  It got cold again.  That afternoon another friend’s husband came to fix it.  He fixed it.  He left.  It got cold again.  At 1:30 A.M. on Friday morning I woke up to go to the bathroom.  When my feet hit the floor (our house was built in the late 1930’s and it’s raised) I knew it was cold.  When I got into the hall the thermostat said it was 55 degrees.  No heat.  NONE!  I have two space heaters so I turned them on in the boys’ rooms and closed their doors.  Those things make me nervous so I kept setting my alarm clock for 45 minutes later so I could check on them.  Friday morning it was still 55 degrees.  Fancy left and went to work.  He wasn't concerned about the frost bite my toes might endure because his office had heat.

I called Larry to come back.  He made the heat come on again and he left.  It got cold.  My friend’s husband came back at 3:00 and made the heat work again.  He left.  It got cold.  I got TICKED!!!  I’m cheap, but I broke down and called the heating people.  They were at my house in 20 minutes.  You gotta love Mayberry.  Two men came in and I explained the problem.  One went up in the attic and the other, well, I don’t know what he was doing.  Finally he asked me when the last time that I had changed my air filters was.  I said probably 4 months ago.  Ironically, I knew it was time to change them and had mentioned it to Trey last week.  He disagreed that we needed any, but I went ahead and told my mom to get me some since they don’t have my size in this town.  So I had 2 brand new air filters in my laundry room that had been delivered to my house on Wednesday.  Now here we are on Friday with two heating repair men in my house and my only problem is my D-A-N-G air filters were dirty!!!!!!!!!!  They were so nasty that when they heat would “try” to come on they couldn't suck air through the filters.  It was causing the system to overheat and the switch was cutting off.  The good news is now we have heat, but I looked like a huge moron and now I will get a fat bill for the people changing my air filters.  I’m a little bitter about it… can you tell?

Trey and I were invited to a friend’s 30th birthday party in Hernando on Friday night.  The party was an 80’s theme and you could dress up if you liked.  Well, of course I’d like to dress up.  I take dressing up very seriously.  I loved swaps in college and I always participated while teaching on the homecoming dress up days.  Fancy isn’t so much into dressing up, but I pretty much gave him no choice.  I sent my mom a message that we needed to borrow one of my dad’s nylon wind suits for the big event.  Now I had to be very careful how I worded my request because BoomPa isn’t afraid to sport those bad boys on a regular basis.

Puddin came by on Friday at about 5:00 and I pawned both kids off on her.  I brought all of my attire into the bathroom, closed the door, and turned on music really loud.  I sang while I was getting ready and really enjoyed my “Suzanne time”.  I called Trey to tell him to hurry up that I was ready and he needed to prepare for what he was about to see.  

If I remember correctly, he rolled his eyes at me and said, “You aren't right.”  I was so excited I was running around the house trying to get his outfit all sorted out and driving him crazy all the while.  It also drove him insane that I wouldn't take off my hot pink purse all night.  I really thought it added to my uniform!!!  

 Trey and Caleb Luke
 Me and Betsy Luke
 Me and Elizabeth…. (You knew you’d be on the blog!!!)
We went.  We had fun.  And I was exhausted the next day.  Five hours of sleep just won’t cut it for this woman!

No comments:

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...