Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Balancing Act

I have been asked by one of my male readers (Fancy aka Trey) to write a more positive blog.  Remember, the last post was the hormones doing the talking and I apologized at the end.  If you don’t agree with what I say you don’t have to read what I write.  You will all be glad to know that “I feel” like I am doing better.  Am I cured of the hormonal problems, no not yet.  But I am better!
John Brantley is now 2 weeks and 1 day old.  I told Trey last night it was hard to believe we have had our little man for two weeks.  Then I told him it seemed all like a big blur.  He agreed. 
When he was 5 days old we went back to the doctor for a follow-up check-up.  He weighed in at 8.3 pounds and was doing well.  He had a bit of jaundice so we have done some sun bathing in the window. 

 
This looks awfully uncomfortable, but this doctor insisted that babies love to be held like this.  Looks like a choke hold!

 
Some brotherly bonding time….

 
BoomPa playing the fishing game with Ford.  It’s actually pretty hard.
 
We try to go outside in the mornings for at least 10 minutes before you can fry an egg on the driveway.   

 
Everyone thinks John Brantley is soooo big in pictures.  He is bigger than Ford was, but he is kind of a scrawny little guy.  Check out those bird legs.  And FEAR NOT, he has stellar lungs.  Can you tell?????!!!
 
I honestly feel so bad for Ford.  I have had the “new mother’s guilt” (I made that term up just now).  Ford used to have 24/7 access to my time and attention.  Fortunately, we had some time once I finished school and before John Brantley came that we could play and spend together.  We got out and ran errands, had fun dates, went to the Children’s Museum etc.  Now that the baby is here, and I am still not ready to venture out into the world with two babies we are stuck inside.  Ford used to wake up in the mornings (pre-baby) and say, “Where are we going today?”  This morning when he woke up he kept saying he wanted someone to come see him.

I feel bad that we are “stuck” in the house and can’t get out much.  I have honestly tried to plan something a little fun for him to do every day, but I am limited.  This morning I put John Brantley down for a nap and Ford and I were playing in the living room.  Well, low and behold the little stinker starts crying so I have to go rock him back to sleep.  This didn’t sit well with Ford.  He came into the nursery and said his throat hurt and he was going to bed!  About an hour later I decided I wanted to put on my make-up (takes 5 minutes max), well Ford got sick again.  He asked for me to put him in his bed, turn on his noise makers, and close the door!  What is a woman to do????


 
John Brantley honestly is a good baby.  Perhaps I have a small clue about babies this time and have put him on some sort of a schedule.  He is napping really well.  He usually stays awake for about 1 ½ - 2 hours after he gets up in the mornings then naps.  I will feed him and try to keep him up a little bit so that he will nap again when Ford naps.  A momma needs her “Suzanne time” (alone time).  He is an eating machine.  I know formula is much more filling than breast milk, but I seriously feel like all I do is sit in the chair while he eats.  It’s a sweet time, but then again…. Poor Ford.  I feel bad for him. 
Ford LOVES John Brantley.  He probably loves on him too much.  I will let him hold him if he has the Boppy around his waist.  He is constantly touching and kissing all over him.  Trey and I have to tell him to stop after so much has gone on.  I am so glad that he loves his brother and he isn’t resentful of him.  I was scared that would happen.  Yes, he is jealous of him, but I guess he is still trying to figure out his new place.

3 comments:

Lauren and Nick Miller said...

He is sooooo cute!!

Ashley said...

Looks like you are doing good...at least you have tome to blog...I guises I may try to do a monthly one for the summer! You will always have mommy guilt no matter what! Someone is always going to need some attention, just do the best you can and go one day at a time! This time will be a blur to Ford too!

Ashley said...

I'm such a crazy momma I can't even spell.....

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...