Saturday, November 19, 2011

End to your day

One of the glorious perks to being a teacher is Thanksgiving break.  I have the entire week off, and it’s well deserved.  The last 3 weeks have been tough.  Being at school from 7:00-3:15 with 22 children and a case of 24/7 nausea are not a good mix.  The good news is, today is the first day I have been able to function without medicine.  I pray it continues. 
My group of Indians made some headbands at school yesterday. 
During our social studies lesson on Thursday we had an extensive conversation about the Englishmen coming to North America and settling in Jamestown.  I talked about how when they arrived it was basically woods.  They didn’t have a Wal-Mart, Fred’s, Walgreens, McDonalds etc.  We discussed how many died due to lack of shelter, illness, and starvation.  I really thought I was driving the point home and they understood.  One little girl raised her hand and said, “Mrs. Lamar, you mean to tell me they didn’t have no Popeye’s Chicken?”  All I could think was where did I go wrong!!!  Then we talked about how the Native Americans were the first people here and how no one in my class is 100% Indian.  I told them they should go home and ask where their ancestors came from.  One little guy raised his hand and said, “Mrs. Lamar, I know where I am from, Australia.  And also my ancestors are famous for finding out 5 new kinds of tarantulas.”  After that comment I was done and social studies was over.  Never a dull moment being a teacher.
 
After school Ford and I needed to go to Wal-Mart to buy a birthday gift for one of his friends.  Taking Ford to the toy section of Wal-Mart isn’t a smart idea.  He immediately needed to get out of the buggy when he saw this $60.00 fire truck that he REALLY needs Santa Claus to bring him.  He also needed about 35 other toys in the store.

Before I left school yesterday I took down all my Thanksgiving stuff and got out the few pieces of Christmas décor I have.  I had an extra strand of colored Christmas lights and they had Ford’s name ALL over them.  We hung them around his closet.  He is so proud and told me several times how pretty they were!   

 
Trey came home early from work yesterday.  I thought he was coming to see us, but he really wanted to go scope out the deer before opening morning of gun season.  So all of us piled in the truck to go to the farm.  Ford and Delta stayed in the back looking out the window.  As soon as Delta realized there were about 15 deer in the field she bailed out the window like a bullet to get her a deer.  Trey was screaming, Ford was crying, and I was laughing hysterically.  Any critter within a 2 mile radius was LONG gone.  Ford was so upset thinking his puppy dog was gone forever.  Trey finally caught her.  I haven’t laughed that hard in months!
 
I hope everyone has a lovely END to their day…….

No comments:

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...