Monday, October 12, 2009

Rebels, Coffee Cake, and Saggy Pants


Ford made his first debut in the Grove on Saturday. It was cold, muddy, and rainy but we still managed to see a few people. The little man and I didn’t make it to the game. We let Trey go to the game and we came home to our warm house. I hope he can go to a few more games before it gets too cold.


Tired on the way home from the game

Yesterday we went to church and it was breakfast Sunday. No, I didn’t make my caramel French toast. Instead, I made sour cream coffee cake.

SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE

Cake:

½ cup butter, softened
½ cup margarine softened
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ cup chopped pecans

Glaze:

2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 325. Cream butter, margarine, and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking power and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternating with sour cream. Pour half of batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan. Mix cinnamon with 2 tablespoons sugar and sprinkle half over batter in the pan. Top with pecans. Top with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Bake 40 to 55 minutes. Cool in the pan 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack to cool completely.

For glaze, mix butter, sugar and vanilla adding enough milk until proper consistency is achieved. Pour over cooled cake.

This recipe also comes from the Prime Meridian cookbook. It sounds like a lot to make this lovely little cake but it’s not that bad. The thing that takes the longest is the sifting. When you get your sifter out you know its big time. I think my forearm got the best work out of its life. It was yummy and there was none left to bring home. I am including a picture!!!!!! I am such a nerd. Trey asked why I took a picture of the coffee cake and I said I was going to put it on the blog. I sprayed my Bundt pan really good, but some of it still stuck to the bottom.

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Okay lately when I go out around town to run errands I have been seeing something that really bothers me. I am not sure if it is because I am a teacher and we enforced dress codes or because it is just plain inappropriate (my opinion). When I went to Wal-Mart (forgot coupons AGAIN) yesterday I was walking in the door behind this young man who thought it was cool to sag his pants. WHY do these boys think people want to see their boxers?????? I for one do not care to see anyone’s underpants and wish they would buy clothes that fit or get a belt. I just had to get that off my chest…

Moving right along…



I think it is important to make goals for yourself. You know small achievable goals. Nothing extreme that will never happen. In high school my best friend, Jamie, and I used to say EVERY summer that we would go on diets to look like Victoria Secret models. That still hasn’t happened!!!! Don’t worry though, we talked about it this summer and laughed. I would not say that is a small, achievable goal. My goal 2 weeks ago was to clean out my closet and get rid of AT LEAST 20 things. I said 20 things is doable. I didn’t count as I was taking things off the racks and the shelves, but it ended up being much more than 20 things. I have an entire bag full of hangers. After I cleaned out what I didn’t want I tidied up my closet, color coordinated my clothes, and made sure everything was in its proper place. You can actually walk in there now. I feel so much better about my closet.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

The sour cream coffee cake was so good. So glad you posted the recipe!

And I'm so with you on the sagging pants. I've seen guys wearing their pants around their knees--I don't understand how they walk.

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...