Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Dad married My Patty

You’ve heard me speak of my dad and his lady friend, Patty.  Well, this past weekend they tied the knot! 
We headed south to Laurel on Friday for the upcoming nuptials.  Trey drove and had to take work calls the entire 4 hours down there, which was miserable for my kids because they love to talk.  I addressed Christmas cards all the way.  Bitty colored…

The best thing he's ever drawn...
Friday night, Patty's sister hosted a party...
 We gave toasts and I cried.  I am not a crier, but knowing all my family has been through in the last 4 years...I just couldn't hold back.
 Annie said she needed to "go visit with Patty".
Then Saturday was the B-I-G day!!!
 Alice and Annie matched....
 Ford, Davis, and Bit
 All ten grands....
 Cheryl, Patty's mom, Patty, Marsha, and Kay.... (the sisters)
 Aunt Carole, dad, and Aunt Sandra (Dad's sisters)
 Case, Kate, Harry, and Ruby Jean
 Patty's family...
 All 21 of us...
 All the DDD's minus Megan
If you'd have asked me several years ago if I could have pictured either of my parents married to anyone else I would have said, "heck no!"  My mom and dad were married over 40 years, I never saw them fight, they were each other's person, they were always together, and they needed each other.  When mom got sick I knew there was no cure, but I never really thought she'd die.  When she really started going down, about 3 months before she died, we had a family meeting.  During that time she said if my dad found someone she wanted him to remarry.  Hearing her say that put such an ease on things when my dad started dating.  Watching him battle loneliness and depression from losing my mom and dealing with grief was tough.  I felt like I needed to fix things and take care of him.  That posed to be difficult since I was 40 minutes away and had my own family to take care of.  Having Patty in his life now has eased so much of my worry and concern.  He is happy.  I know she will take care of him.  And they truly care about one another.  So to all the people who may wonder," How does Jill feel about this?"  I am fine.  I love it.  I love Patty and her family.  I miss my mother more than words can say, but I have accepted that I can't have her back, so I have the next best thing.... my Patty (I don't like "step mom").

 Well, this is the new crew.... all 21 of us.  I always wanted to be from a big family and now I guess I kind of am.  Even though it'll be close to impossible to get everyone together, my kids are excited to have new cousins.  And the beach will never be the same once we all leave in July 2018!!!!



1 comment:

Marsha Low said...

Jill what a wonderful, wonderful blog!!! It captures the weekend perfectly and is such a nice tribute to Patty, Joe and to your mom.
Marsha

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...