Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmases of the past

Christmas time is closing in on us and I truly hope God will let me slow down and enjoy the next two days.  I am a very fast paced person.  I tend to make lots of plans in my head and make sure everything is running accordingly and I miss out on a lot.  Of course I have the next two days planned out in my head, but I hope I can sit back, soak it all in, and enjoy this special holiday season.
This is my seventh Christmas to be married.  Trey and I married in 2005 and spent our first two years in Jackson, MS, while he completed law school.  We lived on my salary alone and money was very tight.  We made it through those two years and never wanted for a thing.  Those were some of our favorite times spent in our little house, in the cul-de-sac, before we had so much responsibility on our plates. 
Our first Christmas at the Peabody (just a visit... we didn’t stay there)

For our first Christmas I decided to get Trey a coat.  They didn’t have his size at the store so I had to order one and have it shipped to our house.  The package came to our house one evening and he came in holding the coat up saying “what’s this?”  I was so mad at him.  Number one he ruined his Christmas present and number two he opened mail that was not addressed to him.  I have since expressed how you DON’T open other people’s mail unless given permission to.
Our second Christmas
Like I said, we didn’t have much money.   A lot of the presents we bought for family were from credit money we had left over from our wedding gifts.  Some of our gifts were wrapped in Diet Dr. Pepper and Saltine Cracker boxes.  We didn’t have a “tree” that one would consider to be a Christmas tree.  It was and still is a tree that Puddin and Pops use in their pool house.  I never took a picture of it with our 3 ornaments on it but I did get a picture of it this afternoon.  It’s about 6 feet tall and 2 feet wide.  Our house was so small it was perfect.  We didn’t have a Christmas tree skirt so I used a green sheet Trey had from college!

Thinking back on that little tree makes me laugh.  Those were some special memories that I love thinking about.  Now we are able to make new memories.  We have a bigger tree.  It’s not better because half of the lights on my pre-lit tree don’t work.  We have a real Christmas tree skirt that I personally sewed with my own two hands and the boxes I used to wrap my gifts this year didn’t come from my pantry. 

Since Ford came along I have made a gingerbread man every year.  This year he got to help me decorate our little fella. 




He has been so excited about Christmas all month.  He knows that it is more than toys and can fill you in on a lot of details about Jesus.  It makes us so proud as parents.  I am looking forward to the next two days.  I know it will be a magical time for the Lamars!

No comments:

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...