Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Chinaman

I think it is important to give people good gifts. I actually really enjoy buying presents for other people. I have found it to be harder to buy for the men in my life rather than the women. Several years ago when my older brother was probably a junior or senior in college I bought him one of the most memorable gifts he has ever received; a small statue of a Chinese man. Now, I am sure you are wondering why in the world did I buy that for him. Like I said, men are hard to shop for and I thoroughly enjoy a gag gift. Needless to say, his eyes got big and everyone laughed when he opened his birthday present.

When Ken would come home from school I would put the statue in his suitcase and he would end up taking it back to Ole Miss with him. And the cycle continued that way for several years. After we both got married I decided that I would plant the Chinese man in their house or car when I went to visit. And so the games began. For almost 4 years now Ken, Ashley, Trey and myself have had fun hiding the “Chinaman” amongst each others things. It has been wrapped as a Christmas gift, been put in a tub of maternity clothes, ended up in a shower, in a bbq grill, been planted under a seat in a car, and someone (no names mentioned) broke into my house once and left him on my table when I was out of town. Today is my 27th birthday and the statue appeared on my backdoor step this afternoon. So, now it is my turn to think of a creative way to return the Chinaman to its rightful owners!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how funny!! Can't wait to see where I find him next!! It will be funny when one day we find him at the nursing home!!:)

Katie said...

That is so cute. What a sexy chinaman. I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Managore!

Janice said...

Aww now that is really fun. Keep us posted on when you give it up, and they find it. I just love neat little family traditions like this!

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...