Saturday, October 19, 2019

The busy life of the Lamars


All good things come to an end.  Pee Wee football was a ride and now it's over.  Fancy has been helping coach Pee Wee football for the last 3 years, but this was Ford's first year to play.

One night Trey and I were sitting on the coach talking.  I told him I was so tired from all the activities life has thrown our way.  Then I told him it occurred to me that this was our life for the next 14 years!!!!

Pee Wee Pep Rally....
 October the 9th was my mom's birthday.  She would have been 66.
I'm not what you would call an emotional girl.   I rarely cry.  When things upset me (usually big days involving my mom) I usually tend to be more irritable than emotional.  The irritability happened on her birthday.  I guess Trey felt bad for me and how I was being difficult, so he sent me flowers!
 I teach all these boys....  This was a high school pep rally.
 Bitty and crew at the pep rally.
 Last week we had two days off for fall break.  Trey suggested going to the mountains.  I liked the idea, but not the driving in the car part.  I asked him if we could just go stay at the farm for a night instead.  He agreed.  It was fun.  We cooked out, played games, sat by the fire, etc.
 The next day we went to My Big Backyard in Memphis with our friends.
 
 Anne Walker and Annie
 Annie, Gaines, Anne Walker, Bitty, and Ford
 He found a friend...
 My thoughts on extra credit....YOU ALWAYS DO IT....no matter what.  Our school likes to do the pumpkin project.  You use a pumpkin, real or fake, and make a book character.  I told my boys we would do it, BUT they had to be easy.  I don't do crafts, pinterest, or art.  I wasn't gifted in that area.
 Bitty did Dog Man.  I assisted.
 Ford did Diary of a Wimpy Kid.... Annie helped him paint...the rest was all him!
 Puddin bought Annie a new outfit and shoes.  She looks so big!
Annie is at the age where she says whatever she's thinking.  Everything I hear about makes me cringe.  Here are some things lately...

Art teacher at school texts me to say that Annie said, "Mrs. ______ you need to pull up your pants because your stomach is hanging out."

Same art teacher another day.  The teacher had a few high school students in there who nearly died at this one.  The 4k class gets seated and she says today we are going to make witches.  Annie raises her hand and said, "Did you say we are going to make witches or bitches?"

One of her Sunday school teachers has a notch on her ear.  Annie walked up behind her, tapped her on the shoulder, and said "Why do you have elf ears?"
 This was her soccer coach.  She asked him what was wrong with his eye.  He said he had a lazy eye.  The next game she asked him if his eye was still lazy.  He told her it was everyday.  That same game she ran and punched him in the stomach and called him big belly.
 I'm guessing she will be the death of me!!!!!!!

Soccer is over for the little two...Red Ninjas
 Killer Bees
 I teach fourth grade which also means I teach my son spelling and reading.  Since I teach at a Christian private school I am free to talk about God, the Bible, have devotion time, and discuss scripture.  I give my students a Bible verse every week.  If they can correctly write it, spelling doesn't count, that week I give them a check mark.  If they can get 6 out of the 9 (per 9 weeks) correct I will give them a drop a grade in reading.  I never told them they had to do it, but I encouraged them.  Three of my 50 students got all 9 verses.  Ford didn't know I would give him a prize at the end.  For the three that went above and beyond I got their favorite drink, chips, candy bar, and they got a certificate.
 I also assigned the children an AR (accelerated reader) goal.  I told them to get 13 points and have a 75% or higher to get an extra 100 in reading.  This was a very easy, achievable goal.  Many didn't try.  Ford got 50 the first 9 weeks.  I had 17 out of 50 to meet their goal.  I also gave them a certificate.
 We have a new Pocket Park in town.  An old building burned down years ago.  It was really an eye sore, but it was turned into a beautiful space recently.
Bitty's first grade report card

Ford's fourth grade report card

When I was asked to move to fourth grade and teach reading and spelling I got a little nervous.  First of all I had always been self contained where I taught all subjects.  And secondly, I'd be teaching some of the same kids again.  I wanted them to see my room differently than they did in third grade so I knew changes had to be made.  I thought and thought all summer of ideas.  I saw how scores improve drastically when vocabulary is taught.  I thought....well there you go.  We will do a word of the day.  
Each child has a notebook where they write their word of the day down.  We talk about the word.  On Friday we review the words from Monday-Thursday.  Each day I add a word to my wall.
 I am obsessed with this word wall.  I get excited when I add a new word.  The other day it occurred to me that I will have to take this down when school is over!!!!!!!!!!  I'll be devastated y'all!
 TRADITION..... We picked out our pumpkins today.

No comments:

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...