Thursday, January 14, 2010

Welcome back Mrs. Lamar, Welcome Back

God definitely has a sense of humor. I have found this to be true in the last few weeks. He decided he wanted me to go back to work which broke my heart at first thinking of leaving Ford. Once I stepped back into teaching I felt at home once again. As many of you know, I taught third grade in Jackson and third grade again in Senatobia. I was at home all of the fall and then became an interventionist or a “glorified tutor” for second graders. Now my friends, there is a big difference between second and third graders… also I was at a different school than last year which was yet another adjustment. I, myself, do not like change. I get settled into a routine and feel all comfortable and like things to run smoothly.

So the last week and a half I have been working with my second graders on their reading skills. It was an easy job and a nice way to transition back into the working world. Well, on Monday, the superintendent approached me about a full time job. I accepted the “new” job and now I work at the HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!! Yes, I am a Special Ed teacher at the HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!

This is how day #1 went down…

I pull up at 7:16 and no other teachers are there???????? I was at work last year at 6:45 and we HAD to be there by 7:10. I was a bit confused and went to my hall duty. The kids were definitely looking at me like I was a sub. At the beginning of the day the sped kids that are not my kids, came into the room to watch channel 1. Who knew that was still on???? I got some too close for comfort love from one student. After channel 1 I went to Mississippi Studies with 9th graders. I have 2 kids in there. Second period I have “tutorial” where I am alone with 4 students. I am supposed to help them with their work. The girl asked if I could help her with her math. It was all kinds of stuff like finding the volume, circumference, area and all kinds of stuff. I have not done pre-algebra since 8th grade. I survived that. Third period is my planning period. Since my room has NO HEAT I left and went to the middle school. Ahhhhhhhh home… That is where I taught last year. I am in an inclusion class with third graders. I just pull about 6 kids and go over work with them. Then I leave there at 2:00 and go back to the high school for BIOLOGY! Yes… haven’t done that since 9th grade either. My biology teacher’s name was Mrs. Polk and her hair looked like a Cheeha Pet… (however you spell it). All I remember about that class is dissecting stuff and hanging my head out the window. Luckily, I didn’t have to go to biology today since they were short on subs so I was the CHORAL TEACHER!!!!! I quickly told those darlings (8th graders) that I was not singing for them and they should do their homework or visit quietly.

Who would have thought that I would teach high school? I look like a high schooler!!!! More to come on my new job as it progresses. I survived day 1… PRAY FOR ME!

3 comments:

heatherstockett said...

I wish I could've seen the students' faces-they probably thought you were the "new girl". And I mean student not teacher ;)

Amanda said...

Girl.... I taught Special Ed at North Forrest my first year of teaching and I was asked like you were to move up and take that on. I will be praying for you, you will do great!!!

Janice said...

I was an assistant in Sped the year I had off between dental school and college. It was quite interesting! Please, keep us posted. You will definitely have some good stories to tell. I know I do!

RTT TBS

Thank goodness that Easter Bunny stopped by.... Trying to take pictures of my kids isn't the easiest thing ever..... We recreated a 2016...